Thursday, July 28, 2011

This is Summer


Farley and I are at Hileman Landing, swimming in our favorite spot. The mercury is rising the closest to 90˚F it has been this year. I am grateful for the sounds of summer: the bullfrog, the mourning dove, the song sparrows. The water feels warm and cool at the same time—the cold spots surprise and the warms spots caress. The heat of the sun soothes my shoulders as I stand up on the rocky bottom and listen.

I stand in the water of the Willamette River’s oxbow listening to these sounds and saying aloud, “This is summer, this is summer,” as if to invite it to stay with me long enough to make the coming winter bearable. The warm water reminds me of summers past. As I speak my mantra I am aware that in my years in the South, this was spring. Summer was something else entirely.

The warm spots remind me of the Tchefuncta River and the swims that helped the eternal summers to be bearable in Louisiana. In my mind’s eye I once again see Brown Thrashers poking around at my mother’s, beneath the lanky pine tree forest that was her yard. The Cardinals and Blue Jays provide splashes of color at her feeders.

What we called “Lake” Emfred is actually a bayou, branched off the Tchefuncta's  languid main channel. There are two docks next to the boat ramp, one high and one low. The high one on the left is where I would sit to watch for snakes and turtles in the black water in winter, and jump in cannonball style to cool off in summer. Across the bayou the cypress swamp gives the appearance of an island but with little solid ground between the many “knees.” You could pole a pirogue through there to the river easier than finding footing for a hike. Looking to the right of the dock, the bayou has better access to the larger waterway, still through a dark and tangled swamp, an area I loved exploring by canoe.




The three days per summer that I get to be in the water at Hileman take me back to that place of sense memory and I relish it. Most of my Oregonian friends would never swim here, since the bottom is muddy in places and the water is not crystal clear. Most lakes here are translucent and deep and quite cold. After our swim, Farley and I hike out to where the car is parked and meet a family heading in with swimsuits and fishing poles. They ask if they are going the right way to the swimming hole and I reassure them about their direction. They ask how’s the water, and I say great, adding a caveat, “But I’m from Louisiana, so my standards are not high!” We laugh and walk on.

5 comments:

  1. Did you ever read Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood? I remember reading it a decade ago. It's about as close as I have gotten to a picture of what childhood in the South is like, but I am curious to know if it was semi-accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne~ I did read it, also a decade or so ago. I recall it was semi-accurate... seemed to capture the unspoken social rules of Louisiana culture that I remember experiencing. I enjoyed it! but the film, not so much.... :) -n

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as for so many good/decent books, the movies never do them justice. If I find it and read it again, I will be thinking of a young Nancy =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you touched on just a teeny bit of sense memory here Nancy--just one little slice of that enjoyment -- and I'm so glad you gave yourself the time and space to go there. Your article primed the pump for me to reflect upon my childhood summer days---there is barely anything negative in that memory file-[hmmm...perhaps I'm being a teeeny selective here? LOL!] Even sunburns and the thousands of insect bites I endured couldn't stifle the rush of wonder and possibilities that summer life dished up! Amidst the "boring" flatlands and quarter-sections of corn and wheat and soybean fields,my gradeschool classmates and I rushed out of the last day of school, and into a kingdom full of berries, books read in the apple tree, and swimming in the gravel pit, and, fireflies, hot pavement, and pick-up baseball games in the vacant lot over by Schuh's Implements.... ahhh.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire~ so glad that you got to bask in those memories a bit! I was 16 when we moved to Louisiana~ so I didn't have near enough summers growing up on Lake Emfred. After I moved to Oregon I used to say the 3 things I missed the most were *warm* water, lightning bugs and thunderstorms. I've gotten used to missing them over the past 20+ years, but when I encounter any of them, it takes me right back to all the things I still love and miss about the South.....

    ReplyDelete